Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Homeward Bound





What started out as a last-minute "hey, wanna sing with us" kinda thing with the East Troy Community Band (conducted by Jay Huenink) and Choir (directed by Rodger Trader) last Sunday turned out to be something pretty darn special!  The groups do a yearly concert at the world famous Alpine Valley here in East Troy that is whipped together in a week of rehearsals.  My dad is a regular in both of these groups, so of course I was down for joining them!  I had the honor to sing the solo in "Homeward Bound" and my dad sang the male part in a duet too.  Yay!  The whole arrangement with full band and chorus is downright stirring to the soul!  My brother, Matt, videotaped it but for whatever reason the picture was blurry so I had the idea to set some of his oil paintings of Wisconsin scenes to the music. When I saw/heard how beautifully they went together, I have to admit I was choked up... ok I actually cried!

Here it is if you'd like to see/hear for yourself:

http://youtu.be/m1FpjFjQ9y4


HOMEWARD BOUND
Words and Music by Marta Keen
arranged by Jay Althouse and Brant Karrick

In the quiet misty morning, when the moon has gone to bed,
When the sparrows stop their singing and the sky is clear and red,
When the summer's ceased its gleaming, when the corn is past its prime,
When adventure's lost its meaning, I'll be homeward bound in time.
Bind me not to the pasture. Chain me not to the plow.
Set me free to find my calling and I'll return to you somehow.
If you find it's me you're missing, if you're hoping I'll return,
To your thought I'll soon be list'ning; in the road I'll stop and turn.
Then the wind will set me racing as my journey nears its end,
And the path I'll be retracing when I'm homeward bound again.
Bind me not to the pasture. Chain me not to the plow.
Set me free to find my calling and I'll return to you somehow.
In the quiet misty morning when the moon has gone to bed,
When the sparrows stop their singing, I'll be homeward bound again.

p.s. the baby you hear in the beginning is a cameo by the notorious Jackrabbit!

For another chance to hear this piece being performed along with a whole program of great tunes, come join us in the East Troy Town Square this Thursday, August 1st at 7:30pm!  

for more details:

No comments:

Post a Comment